Waynesboro Ice Plant
The Waynesboro Ice Plant opened in 1905 when many cities began to make their own ice instead of importing it from up North by rail. It remained in operation until the early 1970's. In 2000, the Waynesboro Ice Plant had fallen into disrepair and was crumbling away. The City planned to demolish it but when the bids to do so were all too high it was not torn down. Instead, in 2005, the one hundred year old building became the recipient of a Department of Transportation Enhancement Act Grant. Today after undergoing a $1.1 million renovation, the 7,000 sq. ft. building not only houses the Offices of Planning and Development for the City of Waynesboro but serves as a museum, meeting space, and trailhead for the recently completed Greenway Trail. Visitors to the Ice Plant will find some of the original equipment on display; including the diesel generator that provided power for ice making and generated electricity for streetlights. Included in the displays are vintage photos tracing the plants history and significance.
Hours of operation are 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. If you have questions are in need of more information, please call 706 554-4168 or 706 554-8000.
ICE PLANT RIBBON CUTTING AND GRAND OPENING
The City of Waynesboro celebrated the grand opening and ribbon cutting for the Ice Plant on September 8, 2011. Georgia Department of Transportation officials along with Mayor DeLoach, Waynesboro City Council Members, State Senator Jesse Stone, and a host of citizens throughout Waynesboro gathered for the long awaited ceremony. Some pictures of the event are below.