Garbage pick-up is mandatory for both residents and businesses throughout the City of Waynesboro. Residential pick-up is on Tuesday and Wednesday of each week. Half the City is picked up on Tuesday and the other half on Wednesday. The charge for garbage pick-up is $19.51 and is added to the utility bill each month. Guidelines for residential pick-up follow:
- Please be careful and do not park in front of the kart so as to block the garbage truck.
- Please do not overfill the kart or place trash around it. The lid must be able to close.
- Only regular household garbage is appropriate to place in the kart. Please do not put yard waste or dirt in the kart.
Garbage pick-up for businesses is on Monday and Thursday of each week. Businesses have a choice of pick-up once or twice per week. Restaurants are an exception as they are required to have twice-a-week pick-up. Rates are based on the size dumpster and the number of pick-ups per week. Rates are listed below:
2 Yd. 1x/wk - 82.48
2 Yd. 2x/wk - 164.87
4 Yd. 1x/wk - 110.84
4 Yd. 2x/wk - 212.71
6 Yd. 1x/wk - 139.19
6 Yd. 2x/wk - 260.65
8 Yd. 1x/wk - 167.55
8 Yd. 2x/wk - 308.57
1 Yd. (Sharing) - 19.51
If a roll-off is required, please call City Hall at 706 554-8000 to have one delivered. The rate for a roll-off follows:
Rent per month is 93.01
Haul fee per haul is 173.29
The City utilizes 2 trucks with grapple hooks that collect yard waste. We need everyone's help to make yard waste collection as safe, effective and efficient as possible without damage to your property. Please observe the following guidelines when placing yard waste at the street:
1. Yard waste that will be collected include grass clippings, leaves, pine straw, pine cones, and limbs. The City will not collect stumps or logs over 10 inches in diameter.
2. Yard waste should be placed in one pile not in wind row type piles.
3. Piles should not be placed under tree limbs or power lines or near objects such as mail boxes or parked cars.
4. Piles must be free of paper, cans, plastic or plastic bags and other types of residue. Please do not place yard waste in plastic bags.
5. Piles larger than a pick-up truck will not be collected. The owner will be responsible for paying to have the piles removed.
6. Large piles of waste generated by a contractor, such as a landscaping company or tree surgeon, will not be collected. It is the owner's responsiblity to arrange with the contractor to remove these larger piles.
7. Limbs and small trees shorter than 10 feet in length do not have to be cut into smaller lengths. A grapple loader is more efficient at picking up lengths longer than 3 feet.
8. Yard waste should not be placed in the street. Residents will be responsible for repairs of vehicles scratched or damaged by yard waste piles in the street. Residents may be cited if debris is interfering with the flow of traffic.
A roll-off container is located behind City Hall at 628 Myrick Street where residents can drop off their recyclables. The City hauls the container to a recycling center in Augusta when it is full. Materials for recycling do not need to be separated but should be clean, dry, and free of food particles. No household garbage please. Acceptable recycling items include:
- Plastics 1 through 7
- Aluminum and steel cans
- Paper, newspaper, magazines, catalogs and junk mail
- Cardboard, paperboard and chipboard (clean and unwaxed)
- Glass or styrofoam is not accepted at this time
Please call City Hall at 706 554-8000 if you have further questions.